Volunteering helps young people with medical careers

Three young people who have volunteered at Hywel Dda Health Board are off to start their medical studies.
Volunteering for Health has more than 70 different roles across 59 different healthcare locations in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire.
As well as benefiting the patients over 75 volunteers have gone onto further education or employment.
As a patient befriender volunteer Syedah Aleena Haider supported patients and staff on the Stroke ward in Prince Philip Hospital. She also volunteered for Radio Prince Philip and a Diabetes Research Centre.
She said: Through volunteering I have realised the importance of healthcare staff and the role they play for the wellbeing of patients.
"I am starting Christ’s College, Cambridge form October to study Medicine. I have always wanted to pursue a career in Medicine, perhaps in research and the advancement of health sciences. The volunteering I did has provided me with some basic knowledge of how good quality healthcare and patient care is achieved, which has been a very valuable experience for me.”
Alice Glover and Daniel Jones both a volunteered as Patient Befrienders in Amman Valley Hospital.
Alice recently secured a place at Cardiff University to do Biomedical Sciences.
She said: ‘Volunteering in a hospital has taught me that patients really appreciate and benefit from company. Some elder generations don’t get many visitors and even just spending with them perks them up. It’s enjoyable and rewarding meeting with patients you feel a real sense of community.
“I want to enjoy the course I'm about to start, and see where it leads me. If that ends up becoming a doctor at some point, then that would be amazing! I'd like to thank Volunteering for Health for the opportunity that I've been given! I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at the hospital!”
Daniel will be reading for a medical degree and a BA in medical sciences at Oxford University, at is Lady Margaret Hall College.
 Daniel said: “Volunteering really helped to establish my interest in medicine and improved many of the skills relevant to that.
‘It was a rewarding and fulfilling experience which helped to improve my people skills and added something extra to a CV.”
David Fretwell, Head of Volunteering Services, said: “It’s great that as well as the patients benefiting from the time volunteers give that some of our younger volunteers are also finding it beneficial in starting them off in a medical career.”
For more information on Volunteering for Health go to www.hywelddhb.wales.nhs.uk/volunteering

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors