St Clears woman praises life-saving Careline

A St Clears resident has praised the Careline staff she has credited for saving her life.
Jeanne Walsop, aged 85, suffered a fall at home during the freezing weather conditions in January.
Thankfully, Mrs Walsop was wearing her Careline pendant and was able to raise the alarm – and within seconds help was on its way.
“I was putting out bread for the birds when I slipped on the step, landed on my back and banged my head. I was wearing my Careline pendant, and I thought ‘Thank Heavens for that’!
“Within seconds I had a response – I heard a voice come over and the gentleman on the other side said ‘hang on Mrs Walsop – we are sending someone to help’. Within minutes my neighbour came around, followed quite quickly by an ambulance.
“I was taken to West Wales General Hospital and they treated me to a few X-Rays, but thankfully all I came away with was some pretty colourful bruises!
“Everybody has been so wonderful - if I had not had such a quick response it could have been a very difference outcome.
“It is a valuable service and I want to say a big thank you to all the staff.”
Mrs Walsop is one of over 6,500 Carmarthenshire residents that use Careline, a 24-hour emergency service for elderly, disabled and vulnerable people.
Providing reassurance and help in an emergency, the confidential call system enables people to speak to someone or call for help even if they can’t get to a phone.
The service provides a lifeline, which is attached to a phone line, and a pendant that they can wear around their home and garden.
By pressing the pendant, or the button on the lifeline, the person is connected directly to Careline.
From the moment the call comes through, Careline knows who they are, where they live and who to contact.
Cllr Kevin Madge, Customer Care Champion, said: “Careline is an excellent service which provides a lifeline for vulnerable people. It gives them the reassurance and peace of mind that help is readily available if they need it.
“I am so glad that Mrs Walsop was able to call for help, and is recovering well from her ordeal.”
For further information about Careline, call 01558 824283, or email careline@carmarthenshire.gov.uk

Mrs Jeanne Walsop with Cllr Kevin Madge and Bethan Michael Stone of Careline. Pic Jeff Connell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors