New captains at The Ashburnham

There’s a new team at the helm at The Ashburnham Championship Links golf course in Pembrey.
The new club captain is structural engineer Mel Williams.
And the new ladies captain is Iris Jacob.
Mr Williams, 69, has been playing at ‘The Ash’ for 53 years, since he was 16.
“When I was brought up in Pembrey and most of the local boys in played golf as well as the traditional sports of rugby and cricket,” Mr Williams said.
“I’m really looking forward to my year as club captain. The fellowship and the fun is great here and I am looking forward to all the competitions and activities planned for the year.”
Ladies captain Mrs Jacob is a post office worker living in Pembrey.
She started playing golf in 1994.
She recalled: “I started playing on the advice of a friend. I’d just become a widow and she brought me down to ‘The Ash’ to try the game. I’ve made new friends and been given a new lease of life with a new circle of friends.”
Mrs Jacob added: “We have a wonderful course here at ‘The Ash’ and a great community spirit in the club.”
Picture: Mel Williams and Iris Jacobs, club captains at The Ashburnham Golf Club.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors