Llanelli Beach featured on Ant and Dec's ITV hit show


More than 16 million viewers * tuned in to see ITV’s hit series Saturday Night Takeaway’s sofa challenge at Llanelli Beach.
The Discovery Centre was one of four locations featured on the popular Ant and Dec show where viewers had to guess the area, get to the destination with a suitcase and passport, and register for a seat on the cream sofa to be in with a chance of winning a holiday.
Stormy weather conditions helped the show’s producers and Millennium Coastal Park staff to keep things under wraps until the show was aired at 6pm.
Minutes after Llanelli Beach was flashed on the TV screen hundreds of onlookers and people with suitcases and passports flooded North Dock. Cars came to a standstill as contestants battled their way through the crowds.
The council’s coast and parks manager, Rory Dickinson said: “What a platform this was for the Llanelli Beach and the Millennium Coastal Park. To be recognised on a popular primetime television show that attracts over 16 million viewers is priceless.
I’d like thank my staff who had to remain tight lipped to avoid jeopardising the visit and the chance to put Llanelli on the map.”
Some 43 contestants registered and winning number 18 was whisked off in a limousine for a two-week Mediterranean cruise after the one hour show.
Winner Richard Barrett, aged 60, said: “I was cooking food and the picture flashed up on the screen. I ran out of the door all the way to the centre. When I got there I was told I had to have my suitcase and passport which I had missed Ant and Dec announce, so I ran back home and back again, the rest is history. I have never won anything and I can’t believe it. Number 18 was my old house number so it’s definitely lucky.”

* Carmarthenshire Council press release figure. TV data usually scores the programme at 5 miillion plus. 16 million would put it above last year's record-breaking Great British Bake Off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors