Former Olympian Peter Arthur is back in the gym - at 76!


A former weightlifting Olympian and twice commonwealth bronze medalist is hitting the treadmill to learn to walk again.
Peter Arthur, was left unable to take more than a few steps after suffering a stroke more than a year ago.
For the last 12 months the 76-year-old has been working the treadmill four days a week at Carmarthenshire leisure centres and is now able to walk a mile and a half.
The dad of one says determination, a tailored fitness package, plenty of water and his wife’s support has been key to his recovery.
He said: “After suffering the stroke I was in total shock and couldn’t understand why it had happened to me because I had always been so fit. I was frustrated at being in a wheelchair and
I couldn’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.
“I was paralysed down the right side of my body and was unable to do simple things like tying my shoe lace or eating with my right hand.
“I was at a low point before I was referred to the leisure centre and put on a fitness programme to build up my strength.”
The pensioner’s sporting glory has seen him qualify for the Olympic Games twice - Mexico in 1968 and in 1972 in Munich. He also took part in the 1962 Commonwealth Games in Perth, Australia, Jamaica in 1966 and Edinburgh in 1970 securing two bronze medals in weightlifting on his way.
Through true grit and determination the former British Steel worker from Ammanford is now able to use his right hand to eat and write. His slurred speech which was also the result of the stroke is now hardly noticeable after months of singing at home.
He said: “The reason I had the stroke was because I refused to take my tablets for my high blood pressure and it’s the one regret I have – I lost a year of my life. Although, it’s never as bad as it seems and there is always light at the end of the tunnel. The staff at the leisure centre are great and do not push you too hard - they are so encouraging. My wife has also been tremendous and spurred me on when I felt I couldn’t. I’m getting there and will continue until I’m at my best. There is no such word as can’t.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors