Former Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer MP to speak in Llanelli


Former Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer MP (pictured above) is to speak at a Labour Party constituency fundraiser in Llanelli.
The dinner will also act as a 'Welcome Campaign Dinner' for Labour's new candidate for the Welsh Assembly elections.
The constituency party is currently going through the selection process and will be announcing the new AM candidate before the Keir Starmer dinner.
The night will consist of dinner followed by Keir's speech and a question & answer session.
The date is Thursday 1st October at 7pm and the venue is the Ashburnham Hotel, Pembrey, SA16 0TH.
Tickets -
£18 per person payable at time of booking by cash or cheque
£14 for students/children.
Dress code - smart but not black tie
Contact Suzy Curry for further details or to book 0756 1566 456 or 01554 757511 or email suzycurry@btconnect.com
If you have already booked can you please send a cheque for the correct amount made out to Llanelli Labour Party to: C/O Suzy Curry at 6, Queen Victoria Road, Llanelli, SA15 2TL or drop cash into the office to Suzy Curry.

About Keir Starmer MP
I have lived in Kentish Town for 15 years and worked in Holborn for 25 years. The son of a tool-maker and a nurse, I was lucky enough to get to university and become a lawyer.
After studying law at Leeds University (LLB) and Oxford University (BCL), in 1990 I co-founded Doughty Street Chambers with radical lawyers such as Helena Kennedy QC, Geoffrey Robertson QC and Edward Fitzgerald QC. Our founding principles were the protection of human rights, internationalism, and a commitment to represent those least able to represent themselves.
Over the next 15 or so years, two issues dominated my practice: human rights and the death penalty. Both took me to the highest courts in England and Wales and to all sorts of places across the globe, including all of the international human rights courts.
One of the most interesting was the so called McLibel case where I worked with Helen Steel and Dave Morris – the campaigners who fought the fast food giant, McDonalds in what turned out to be the longest ever trial in English legal history.
Eventually, I represented Helen and Dave in the European Court of Human Rights, where I am pleased to say, we won!
The death penalty work was mainly in the Caribbean and Africa, where I worked with a small team dedicated to bringing constitutional challenges to the mandatory death penalty.
Over a 10 year period, working with lawyers all over the world, I am glad to say that we managed to get rid of the mandatory element of the death penalty in all but two of the countries we worked in.
I managed to squeeze in some writing. Among my books are The Three Pillars of Liberty: Political Rights and Freedoms in the UK (Routledge), European Human Rights Law (LAG) and Human Rights Manual for Africa (BIICL).
In 2002, I became Queen’s Counsel.
At that stage I branched out and between 2002-2007 became the human rights advisor to the Policing Board in Northern Ireland. My job was to monitor whether the newly formed Police Service of Northern Ireland (replacing the RUC) complied with the Human Rights Act. I attended operations on the ground, had access to all officers and documents and published my findings.
My most public-facing role was as Director of Public Prosecutions and head of the Crown Prosecution Service from 2008 to 2013. In that role I was responsible for practically all public prosecutions in England and Wales, assisted by my 8,000 or so staff. The CPS brings hundreds of thousands of prosecutions each year and it is an understatement to say that there were some tough decisions to make. My approach was to be open about what we were doing and, in my time, we developed publicly facing guidelines on difficult issues such as assisted suicide, violence against women and girls, social media and child sexual abuse.
After stepping down as DPP, I worked with Doreen Lawrence on a central plank of Labour’s criminal justice strategy for 2015 – a victims’ law, which was included in the Labour Party's 2015 election manifesto – which builds on my experience in tackling violence against women and girls and child sexual abuse. I was elected to represent Holborn and St. Pancras on Thursday 7th May 2015 with a majority of 17,048 votes. Holborn and St.Pancras is my community. I want to work on behalf of all the people of our constituency – from Highgate to the Regents Park Estate and from Somers Town to Covent Garden - to ensure a fairer future for everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors