Cancer survivor’s cycle challenge for Chemotherapy Unit at Glangwili Hospital



A Carmarthen man got together a team of ‘rebels’ to tackle a 55 mile cycle to say thank you to a unit which helped save his life.
Rhodri Reynolds formed part of the Rhodri’s Rebels group of friends who cycled 55 miles from Aberaeron to Saundersfoot to raise funds for the Chemotherapy Day Unit at Glangwili Hospital, Carmarthen.
Rhodri said “I was treated at Glangwili Hospital in 1996 for Hodgkin Lymphoma when I was 19 years old. I have been fortunate to make a full recovery and wanted to give something back in return for the marvellous care that I was given by the doctors and nurses.
“I am pleased that we were able to raise £2,106.10 for the Chemotherapy Day Unit as it provides such an excellent service. Having visited the unit today for the first time since my treatment I am amazed to see how charitable donations have helped to provide above and beyond what the NHS is able to offer.”
Rhodri added: “I would like to thank my family and friends for all the support they have given me as well as our sponsors Cwm Environmental, Byron’s Butchers and DJ Foods, also, a big thank you to Wenfys Ainstee for pulling everything together.”
Fundraising officer Nicola Llewelyn said: “We are very grateful, that despite no longer needing to use the unit Rhodri hasn’t forgotten the marvellous care he received during his illness and decided to raise money for us.”
For more information on the charity go to
www.hywelddahealthcharities.org.uk

Pictured are some of the team members presenting a cheque to the Chemotherapy Day Unit. From left to right: Paul Platt, Darren Williamson, Rhodri Reynolds, Andrew Thomas, Marc Anstee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion