Mount Kilimanjaro climb to raise money for cancer research


Earlier this year a Gwendraeth Valley man lost his beloved wife to cancer and believed his life to be over.
But a lion, a zebra and a mountain have given Terry Davies a focus after the tragic loss of his wife Janet and helped him carry on.
In January he will climb Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for cancer research, and Terry says that what gives him the strength to keep going is the opportunity to help others who are touched by the terrible disease.
Terry and Janet, who was just 51 when she died, were together for 30 years, and the only time they spent apart was when they were at work.
They never argued and said their secret to a happy marriage was that they were always honest and trusted each other.
Terry said: “When Janet was diagnosed in May 2015, my life was turned upside down. Since this time I have gone through a range of emotions and pain that have at times been unbearable.
“I would not wish this suffering on anyone because it’s a pain that sometimes feels like it will never go away.
“What is giving me the strength to try and get over this terrible ordeal is this opportunity to try help others who may be touched by cancer.”
Terry, who works as a business support assistant for Carmarthenshire County Council, received help from the occupational health department after losing Janet.
They told him the story of the lion and the zebra – the zebra is anxious and afraid but when it runs adrenaline and endorphins kick in and give it strength.
Terry said running wasn’t for him, but he started taking long walks which have really helped and he is now focused on the Mount Kilimanjaro challenge.
He said: “As Janet and I had a love for travelling, it did not take me long to think of a challenge that would make her immensely proud of me.
“I therefore intend to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in memory of my beloved wife, Janet. I will then also go on a wildlife safari, so that I can see the lion and the zebra whose story has given me the strength, focus and determination as I start to rebuild my life.”

Terry has set up a “Just Giving” page for anyone who wishes to sponsor him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors