The latest Phil Evans column from the South Wales Evening Post


The latest Phil Evans column from the South Wales Evening Post.
Comedian Phil Evans is from Ammanford. He is known as the man who puts the ‘cwtsh’ into comedy.
www.philevans.co.uk


--------------------

It’s a mystery to me.
Remember “It’s A Mystery” sung by Toyah back in 1981? What she actually sang was “It’s A Myth-tery” due to her pronounced lisp – which is pronounced ‘lisp’.
Why someone with a lisp would choose to sing a song with ‘s’ in the title is itself a mystery and the world loves a mystery.
Want evidence?
Most weeks, the Number One best-selling paperback is a crime novel and we’re all gripped by films like “Gone Girl” and TV shows like Broadchurch, Happy Valley and the long-running Midsomer Murders, which is sold to more than 200 countries.
As I said, the world loves a mystery.
‘Real life’ mysteries also intrigue us, like UFOs, the Loch Ness Monster, The Abominable Snowman and why the BBC continue to inflict The One Show on us five nights a week when they could replace it with something more entertaining. May I suggest a blank screen?
But the mystery that’s had me baffled for decades, is the continuing popularity of....golf!
I just don’t get it.
I meet people all the time who say “We must have a game of golf some time, Phil. What’s your handicap?” *
When I tell them I don’t play, it’s obvious from the look of pity in their eyes they think I’m missing out on one of the world’s greatest pastimes.
* For those of you who, like me, have no interest in golf, a handicap is a numerical measure of a golfer's potential playing ability based on the tees played for a given course.
I almost fell asleep from boredom just typing that paragraph.
I can’t imagine how mind-numbingly tedious it would be to spend hours traipsing around an 18-hole golf course, dressed in pastel-coloured clothes carrying a leather bag full of metal sticks, pausing every now and then to try and hit a small white ball from one green to the next in the hope it might drop into a hole.
If I want a healthy walk, without the burden of a golf bag and a cerise polo shirt, give me a five-mile saunter along the Llanelli’s coastal path every time.
Then there’s the all-male ‘golfing’ trips that use the smokescreen of ‘superb golf courses‘ to visit exotic destinations like Thailand.
Ladies, if you think your husbands/partners are going there purely for the golf, have a quiet word with them...
I also have a problem with golf clubs which are so ‘exclusive’, they require your entire family history going back to Ethelred The Unsteady (Ethelred The Unready’s drunken brother), medical records and PIN number before you’re accepted as a member.
As I’m typing this, I’m being distracted by a football match on the telly, so I need to adjust the sound and vision to the standard I require.
Job done.
I switched it off.
Don’t get me started about football....!

----------------------

Llangennech:
Many young children get so much bad publicity these days, it’s time to sing their praises when they do well. Too often we put them down for sitting in front of computers and not being able to communicate, but this outstanding group of youngsters prove just how wrong we can be.
Ysgol Iau Llangennech have fought off stiff competition and won the junior school choir final on the prime time TV series Songs of Praise.
This just goes to prove that hard work, talent and commitment can bring people together, instil community spirit and bring the feeling of pride and a sense of achievement into the lives of so many. Their time, effort and dedication has certainly done them proud.
Their performance on the TV show was faultless, their voices blend together to make a magical sound for such a young group and I’m not ashamed to say that at one point I felt a lump in my throat.

-----------------------

Music Festival:
Last week, I was thrilled to bits to receive a personal invitation to attend the Clydach Summer Music Festival, which will be held at the New Inn in the village of Clydach, on Saturday 13th June.
My research shows that this debut event is something that has been talked about for many years and now it’s going to happen, showcasing some of the best performers in Wales.
This promises to be a fun filled day out for all of the family. There is a whole host of talent appearing along with a few of my own personal favourites, John Adams, Raspberry Jam, The 2 Tones and Dusty Road.
Alongside this talent, there will be stalls including clothing, jewellery, plenty of food and drink, face painting and even a mini wonderland.
Just like every other successful music festival, tickets are selling out fast and I wouldn’t mind betting that this event will be a total sell out, so don’t miss out!

----------------------

You can follow Phil Evans on Twitter @philevanswales and www.philevans.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors