Leo the dog helps patients in South Pembrokeshire


A dog who visits people in hospital has been recognised for his service by Hywel Dda Health Board.
Leo and his owner Colin Bond volunteer two days a week visiting patients at South Pembrokeshire Hospital.
Colin came up with the idea after being in hospital himself for two months after suffering a stroke.
He said: “When I had my stroke six years ago I noticed a lot of people in hospital didn’t have any visitors. My daughter bought Leo in to see me and everyone seemed calmer, so when I got out of hospital I contacted Pets as Therapy.
“It’s amazing when I visit the hospital you can hear people say here comes Leo and yet they may not be able to remember other things. They all talk to Leo not me, I am just the person who comes with him!”
Leo and Colin were presented with a certificate in recognition of their volunteering by David Fretwell, Head of Volunteering services and Tilly Morrissey, resource centre manager.
David said: “We have been presenting all the Volunteering for Health volunteers with certificates and although Colin and Leo work for a different charity they are very much part of the team at South Pembrokeshire Hospital so felt it was only right their service was recognised to.”
Tilly added: “The patients very much look forward to Leo and Colin coming in and it really brightens up their day.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion