One man and his dog on marathon mission


One man and his dog are off on a mighty challenge to complete six marathons in six days.
Former serviceman Richard Payne will be starting his six-day run from the top to the bottom on Wales on Monday.
It is all in aid of the Healing The Wounds charity which helps treat victims of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) in Wales.
It won’t be a ‘solo’ run for Richard as he is being partnered by his three-year-old Husky dog Blu for key parts of the journey.
“Blu loves going for a run and comes with me when I go jogging, so he’ll be with me for the start and finish of every marathon day,” Richard said.
“He’ll probably end up doing about five miles a day, so he’s the lucky one. But I don’t think he’ll be feeling sorry for me doing the marathon distance of just over 26 miles every day!
“I’ve been in training for this series of marathons, doing about nine miles a day and I did a full marathon last Sunday in about five and a half hours just to get the feel for doing it.
“I’ve got something of a routine going, taking cold baths to aid recovery and just keeping an eye on any sores and blisters that develop.
“Five and a half hours may seem like a long time when compared to proper distance runners, but I am in this for the long haul and I have to pace myself over the six days, particularly as I know that some parts of the route are going to be very hilly.”
Richard, 36, lives in Brynteg Road, Gorseinon, and works as a shift transport manager with hauliers John Raymond of Bridgend.
He added: “The idea all started with taking Blu for walks. As he’s a Husky, I thought he’d enjoy a run, so the walks turned into jogs. And then I thought: why not do a sponsored run for charity?
“My wife Angela has been great in helping me organise everything as it is a marathon in itself planning all the logistics and support for six marathons in six days.
“I thought long and hard about what charity to support and when I saw the great work that Healing The Wounds is doing I realised that they deserved any help I could provide.
“I’m a former soldier and I don’t think the Government is doing enough to support our brave men and women. Healing The Wounds does great work in helping to treat victims of PTSD in Wales, so it is a charity very close to my heart.
“I was in RCT in the Army, now known as the RLC Royal Logistics Corps. I went to Angola after the civil war and have seen how war can damage people. It is a real eye-opener when you see our brave men and women returning from places like Iraq and Afghanistan and I think they deserve all the help they need in making sure they can back to leading a normal life.
“Six marathons in six days is a huge challenge and I have some idea of the pain that’s ahead just by watching people like TV personality Eddie Izzard complete his runs. It’s going to be difficult, but I am in the right frame of mind for the challenge and looking forward to my personal D-day on Monday.”
Richard will complete his run on Saturday (September 24) at the Swansea Waterfront Museum.
Healing The Wounds executive director and charity founder Kevin Richards said: “Richard is taking on an exceptional challenge and we wish him all the very best on his marathon journey.
“Healing The Wounds is a charity which covers all of Wales, so it is great that Richard is helping to put us on the map in such a big way. I am sure the people of Wales will cheer him on as he does his marathons and I am sure they will also support him by making donations to Healing The Wounds, his chosen charity.
“It’s great that Blu the Husky is also doing his bit as well. I will be making sure that we get some special dog biscuits to welcome him back to Swansea!”
The Healing The Wounds charity was set up in December 2009 to help provide PTSD treatment for members of the armed forces and veterans. It aims to set up a Welsh base for the treatment of PTSD. It is currently arranging treatment courses and building a team of counsellors who can treat PTSD. In the long term, the charity hopes to establish a residential centre in Wales to treat victims of PTSD.
The charity’s website is at http://www.healingthewounds.co.uk/
There are two web pages supporting Richard’s run –
http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-to-South-Wales-Challenge/211307538906653
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=RichardPayne5
Marathon route
Day 1, Colwyn Bay to Blaenau Festiniog
Day 2, Blaenau Festiniog to Dolgellau
Day 3, Dolgeliau to Tal y Bont
Day 4, Tal y Bont to Talsarn
Day 5 , Talsarn to Llandeilo
Day 6, Llandeilo to Swansea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion