Six marathons in six days - all for charity!


A Gorseinon man is gearing up to run six marathons in six days – all in aid of Welsh Armed Forces charity Healing the Wounds.
Richard Payne, of Bryn Teg Road, will take on the North to South Wales Challenge in September. He will cover around 164 miles, some days running more than marathon distance.
Richard, aged 36, served in the army before joining John Raymond Transport in Bridgend 10 years ago. He said the marathon challenge was the biggest he had taken on so far.
“We bought Blue, our husky, who needs a lot of exercise, and I started taking him out,” he said. “I put on some weight after I left the army, but through exercising I have lost three stone. I wanted to do something outrageous. My wife Angela and I spoke about it and I decide to do the North to South Wales Challenge.
“I have never run a marathon before, although I have completed half-marathons and I run nine miles a day. Since losing weight the pains in my back and legs are gone, but it’s still a task to put your body through.”
The family pet Blue will complete some parts of the challenge, but for much of the distance Richard will be running alone.
“Blue can’t go too far because we need to protect his feet, but he will be there at the beginning and the end of each day,” said Richard. “I am looking forward to it.”
Richard is being supported by his wife Angela, his daughters Caitlin and Tayla, and his sister Rachel.
“My family has been fantastic,” he said. “They have been a massive support. What will get me through it all is thinking about meeting them at the finish line. There will be quite a lot of wet eyes and I will be exhausted, but exhilarated too. My wife has been the backbone of all of this. She has really supported me.
“There so many other people I have to thank, such as my boss who has given me time off to do this because it is for charity.”
Kevin Richards, executive director of Healing The Wounds, wished Richard well for his challenge.
“Richard has chosen to undertake a huge challenge on behalf of the charity and we are enormously grateful for his help,” he said. “By raising funds for Healing The Wounds, Richard and everyone who has supported him have helped people suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. We wish him the very best in his challenge.”
For more information on Healing the Wounds visit www.healingthewounds.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion