Homeless Llanelli teenager beats the odds

A homeless teenager from Llanelli has defeated the odds – and plenty of opponents – to rise up through the ranks of kickboxing.
Purple belt Liam Thorley is in training to represent Wales at the British and World Championships later this year.
The 17-year-old is being supported by The Wallich, a charity which works with homeless and vulnerable people to find solutions and prevent its occurrence, and Supporting People, a service run by Carmarthenshire County Council which supports vulnerable people to live independently in the community through supported housing projects.
Liam is currently staying at The Wallich’s Llanelli base in Clos Sant Paul, and has impressed staff with his willingness to succeed, despite the personal troubles he has had to deal with over recent months.
As well as training to represent his country in kickboxing, Liam is also a full-time student studying IT at Gorseinon College, and has plans to go to university in September to study computer games design.
“I’ve been through a tough time, but my plans haven’t changed, and I’ve kept to my goals of going to university, and most of all, representing my country in kickboxing,” said Liam.
“I’ve been kickboxing for two years, and am only two away from my black belt. I represented Wales in Portugal last year, and I’ve got the chance of other European trials.
“It makes me really proud to represent Wales, and I’m really thankful for the support I’ve been given by The Wallich and Supporting People. Without them I wouldn’t have a roof over my head, and certainly wouldn’t be able to compete nationally.”
Liam’s case worker Lloyd Arnold said: “We hope Liam’s story will bring awareness of homelessness and will inspire other young people who may find themselves in a similar situation – to know that there is support out there for them, and that they can still achieve their goals. We are very proud of Liam, how he has handled himself, and what he has achieved.”
Ruth Evans, Principal Officer of the Supporting People Programme, added: “Liam is a wonderful example of how young people can turn their lives around and achieve great things with some support. Despite the difficulties that he has faced he has made everyone very proud of what he has achieved.”

PIC: Liam Thorley. Pic Jeff Connell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors