Ammanford businessman on hunger strike

An Ammanford businessman is starting a hunger strike today (Monday, March 21) in a protest about Lloyds Bank.
“It seems like a radical thing to do, but I am at my wit’s end with Lloyds Bank and can see no other alternative,” said 47-year-old Alun Richards.
Mr Richards built up a multi-million business at the expanding Tycroes Business Park near Ammanford
“But I am being ruined by Lloyds, a giant banking group who seem not to care about individual businessmen.
“As long as the Lloyds big-wigs are collecting their fat cat bonuses and operating in cavalier fashion with no reference to Government supervision, businessmen like me will suffer.
“And this is happening even after taxpayers’ funds were injected into the banking economy.
“I have been battling Lloyds for three years and it has cost me hundreds of thousands of pounds and consequential losses running into millions.
“They are unwilling to deal with my complaint and we are just going around in circles as there seems to be no independent way to investigate my complaint against Lloyds and resolve the issue.
“I have tried my local MP, Nia Griffith, of Llanelli, who is also the Labour Shadow Minister for Business, Innovation and Skills, but she has not been able to progress the matter.
“The FSA (the Financial Services Authority) is powerless and unable to help. Meanwhile, it is estimated that Lloyds themselves are actually fielding 1800 complaints a day.”
Mr Richards, a diabetic, said: “Lloyds just fob me off at every turn. Meanwhile, my costs go up as they string the matter out. It’s like battling a giant, David versus Goliath!
“I only have one sling-shot left in my armoury and that is to go on hunger strike with my demand for a personal meeting with the Lloyds chief executive Antonio Horta-Osorio.
“I just cannot see any other way of resolving the matter. They have been vindictive in their approach to my business and have tried to grind me underfoot.
“I will be going on hunger strike from today (Monday). I will be taking water during the length of my hunger strike and I will be seeking medical advice at every turn.
“It seems like a dramatic step to take, but I cannot get Lloyds Bank to sit down and take a reasonable approach to my complaint.”
Mr Richards added: “I have worked my guts out establishing a business park here. The farm had been in family ownership since 1956. But, in 2000, we decided to diversify, move out of milk production and establish the business park.”
The business park attracted high profile support from Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, during his visit to us in 2009.
“It has been an exciting process watching businesses start up here and grow. Some of the old farm buildings have been put to good use and adapted for different firms. And we have catering on site with a cafe and restaurant.
“It has been a positive advance for an area like Tycroes. You would think that banks would be switched on to helping enterprise and innovation. But all they are interested in at the end of the day is getting their pound of flesh and feeding their coffers so that they can continue to operate in a cavalier fashion and collect their big bonuses.
“It is a great tragedy for this country and it’s about time businessmen like me started to stand up and shout and complain. Lloyds have tried to crush me. But all I want is a thorough investigation into my complaints against Lloyds. The middle managers and executives fob me off, so my last resort is to go straight to the top and seek help from the Chief Executive.
“Hopefully, they will sit up and take notice of my hunger strike and play fair and grant me a meeting.”

On hunger strike: Ammanford businessman Alun Richards.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This man is a joke! Anyone who knows him, will tell you the truth behind his failed business & it all falls back to him, he dodges building legislation, treats people very badly & doesn't have the courtesy to pay people for work they have done for him... avoid! avoid! avoid!
Anonymous said…
Built the park with no planning!
Didnt pay local suppliers and contractors for goods and services provided! The man is fruadster!
Hope he does go on a hunger strike and sees it thru!
Anonymous said…
Go to the weblink below, this is the type of person he is!
http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/8625907.__2_515_bill_for_breach_of_regs/
Robert Lloyd said…
I am a firm believer in freedom of speech and I don't want to apply any censorship to this site, but 'Anonymous' can either start posting under a bona fide name or stop posting.

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors