Rugby fan stars in Six Nations TV promo

BBC - Rugby fan Rob stars in Six Nations TV promo
Nice story about Paul Thorburn's legendary 70 metre penalty kick against Scotland in 1986.
I can remember that a couple of days after the kick my then sports editor suggested I get hold of Thorburn and get him to re-create the monster kick.
It was a wet Wednesday, I think, when photographer John Corbett and I trudged off to the Swansea University playing fields to meet Thorburn.
I measured the distance of the kick out on the pitch and Thorburn, being a good sport, tried for the posts.
After about a dozen attempts, he had to give up; it was raining and there was a swirling wind coming in from Mumbles.
Corbett used a bit of technical wizardry and managed to conjure up a sequence of photos which made it look as if the ball sailed through the posts at Ashleigh Road.
I managed to get creative and scribble a 750-word centre spread feature for The Sporting (Green paper).
OK, I was economical with the truth about Thorburn's attempt to re-create the record kick, but I think I got away with it!
Or at least, I got away with it until now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors