The latest Phil Evans column from the South Wales Evening Post


The latest Phil Evans column from the South Wales Evening Post.
Comedian Phil Evans is from Ammanford. He is known as the man who puts the ‘cwtsh’ into comedy.
www.philevans.co.uk


------------------------------------------

No business like showbusiness:
I did intend discussing an old show business tradition, but on reflection it’s too rude for a family newspaper, so instead I’ll discuss a different old show business tradition . . .
“Always leave ’em wanting more!”
Comedians, whether they’re world famous or Phil Evans, know there’s a chance an audience might become restless or even bored, if they feel that they’re being ‘talked at’ all evening.
Although it’s a comedian’s job to be consistently funny all through their act to get the necessary reaction, an audience can flag a little, tired of continually laughing.
Ken Dodd is now in his 80s and may no longer perform his famous five-hour marathons, but he’s still very generous with his time on stage.
Even so, he doesn’t joke non-stop all evening.
Experience has taught him when an audience is close to being ‘laughed-out’.
So he’ll occasionally pause to sing one of his many hit ballads or introduce a support act – usually singer Sybie Jones – before exercising everyone’s chuckle muscles again.
The legendary Max Miller rarely did more than 15 minutes on stage – but they were pure comedy gold. And he’s still revered today.
He knew brevity was the soul of wit....and heavy innuendo!
I like to include other comedians on my shows because it gives the audience a bit of variety. I’m first on, which allows me to establish myself and gauge what sort of audience is out there!
I introduce the first guest comic and then pop on and off between the acts, before closing proceedings. By performing short-ish, punchy sets, I try not to outstay my welcome.
Yet some comedians feel the urge to take centre stage for hours at a time and without Doddy’s knack of knowing when to ease off the laughter pedal, it can be an endurance test.
Here’s an extract from a review of Eddie Izzard’s current West End show “Force Majeure”.
“As it enters its third hour, it starts to feel frictionless and I began to experience cravings for something un-whimsical. Izzard’s self-delight is evident when he relates why he’s chosen to perform a routine in German or why his gigs in France compelled him to cast a dolphin in a scene about Magna Carta.”I know Eddie’s a brilliantly erudite performer, but when a comedian is delighted with himself and relies on being whimsical for nearly three hours, it does smack a little of “Look how clever I am!” self-indulgence.
Perhaps his maxim is...
“Leave ’em wanting less!”

PS: Did you know that Eddie Izzard once lived in Skewen?
It’s a totally random fact which has no relevance to the above but could be a winner in the pub quiz!

-----------------------------------------

Words never fail me:
Those astute readers among you will realise that my South Wales Evening Post column has now been going since June, 2014. This is my 86th column edition.
When I was approached to become a regular contributor to this well-established local daily paper it was a total surprise and a privilege.
Up until that point, it was not something that I had even thought of adding to my repertoire!
Initially, I wasn't sure that I could deliver content on a regular basis with rigid deadlines.
In addition to this, I was fully aware that the media eats up material at a tremendous of knots.
The technology was also an issue: how many ribbons a week would I need for my old typewriter?
I am so glad I took on the challenge. The amazing letters and positive feedback I get (not only off the readers in Wales but as far afield as Canada and America) makes it all worthwhile.
I meet so many fascinating characters with interesting stories on my travels, without them this space would probably contain Saturday's lottery numbers.

-----------------------------------------------

SCOPE charity night:
There are so many charities and worthy causes that need our support and it’s often warm-hearted and hard-working individuals within our communities that lead the way.
Last week, I met up with such a local hero, Daniel Evans, an employee of Virgin Media who is running the London Marathon for the charity SCOPE, but before he gets down to some serious training, he has put on a charity comedy night not to be missed!
To kick off the fundraising, Daniel has secured the services of the ever popular Phil Evans and Friends Comedy and Cwtshes show. This event will take place on Saturday 27th February at the Samlet Social Club Swansea.
Not often does a charity event bring in such a line-up, packed with some of the best comedians in Wales, but it's clear to see that Daniel is on a mission and keen to make a difference. Want more details? Call Dan on 07718947484

--------------------

You can follow Phil Evans on Twitter @philevanswales and www.philevans.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors