The latest 'Iechyd Da' beer column by Llandeilo brewer Simon Buckley


The latest Carmarthen Journal Iechyd Da beer column by Simon Buckley, chief executive of the Llandeilo-based Evan-Evans Brewery - 

When I signed off last month, I left you all with the very real hope that perhaps, just perhaps, the Welsh brewing gods were looking down on us.
The hope was that we would pull off the big one and win a Gold medal at the International Brewing Awards, often known as the Brewing ‘Oscars’.
As my old father used to say, to have dreams is to be human.
I have had plenty - and for the last 29 years I have had one in particular: to become the very best brewer in Wales and to even achieve international recognition.
I have waited and hoped that one day I would be able to take Welsh brewing to the very top of the quality tree and to show the world we are capable of brewing the finest beers not just here in Wales but in the world.
Well, the judges have spoken, and Evan-Evans has been awarded the Gold medal at the BFBI International Brewing Awards 2013 for Organic Beer.
We are now recognised as the No1 brewer of organic beers in the world.
To describe this as a career great moment is to state the obvious.
I cannot begin to explain how I feel; but these awards are not just about one person. These awards are about skill and determination, a team effort, and two very talented young men who were determined to do their very best and to achieve greatness for our company, Wales and the Welsh brewing scene.
All too often today, we are ready to criticise the young for having no interest in what they are doing.
Well, I know different. James my son brewed the beer and Sajan Muthanna, my technical brewer from Mumbai, saw the beer through fermentation to make sure that it came out true to ‘spec’ as a great beer.
They did it - and we should all applaud their efforts.
This is just the beginning.
I intend using this award as a platform to promote the great Welsh brewing industry.
Were my career to end tomorrow, this award would leave with me several happy moments, the look of total delight on James and Sajan’s face, the deathly silence of my very proud mother as she took in the enormity of our success on the phone, and her tears of joy (I thought the shock had killed her!) and my dear wife Sherry.
Some 37 years ago, a group of wonderful brewers based in Llanelli instilled in me the importance of attention to detail, and the passion to brew great beer.
Mine was the heritage, their’s was the gift of patience.
My success is a result of their determination, and so this award is for them to share with me - Alcwyn Davies, who taught me how to brew, and the late Ken Edwards who taught me to have patience, and to my dear late father who taught me how to dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors