Côr Meibion Llanelli to shine in Kidwelly showroom
Côr Meibion Llanelli members are well accustomed to chalking up firsts, but their next concert will be a little out of the ordinary for even the hardened veterans of the choir.
The venue will be the car showroom at the Gravells dealership in Kidwelly.
“We’ve performed all over the world and at some astonishing concert venues, but I think this will be the first time we have performed in a car showroom,” said choir secretary Fred Elias.
“Having said that, Gravells in Kidwelly is no ordinary car showroom. It’s a swish venue and I am sure the surroundings will lend themselves to it being a hugely successful concert.”
The concert, on Saturday, February 18, will be in aid of TS Echo Llanelli, the Llanelli Sea Cadets Training Ship. Llanelli Sea Cadets are celebrating their 70th anniversary this year.
The event starts at 7pm start and the guest soloist is soprano Joy Cornock.
The showroom has been set aside for the concert by kind permission of the choir’s president, Mr David Gravell.
The Gravells name is, of course, well known throughout South Wales for being dealers in Renault, Kia, Subaru and Isuzu vehicles.
Choir secretary Mr Elias added: “It promises to be a memorable evening in very spectacular surroundings and we hope to do our level best to raise money for the sea cadets, a very worthy cause.”
Key facts about Côr Meibion Llanelli
- Côr Meibion Llanelli was formed in the village of Bynea under the baton of the late Denver Phillips BA. in 1964.
- The choir’s longest-serving music director is the present holder of the baton, D Eifion Thomas, who has helped the choir grow in stature and strength to become one of the leading male choirs in Britain.
- They have been successful at all the major choral competitions that Wales has to offer.
- The honours list includes five National Eisteddfod first prizes - at Lampeter in 1984, Fishguard in 1986, Llandeilo in 1996, Bridgend in 1998 and Llanelli in 2000.
- The roll-call of wins also records seven firsts at the Miners Eisteddfod at Porthcawl, six firsts at Cardigan and three Pontrhydfendigaid "Eisteddfodau".
- The choir was successful in winning the Corwen Choral Competition at its first attempt in 1987.
- The Llanelli Male Choir has graced many leading auditoriums and concert halls in the land - London's Royal Albert Hall and Festival Hall, Birmingham's Town and Symphony Halls, Oxford Town Hall, Plymouth's Guild Hall, The MacRoberts Centre at Stirling, as well as Cardiff's St David's Hall and Swansea's Brangwyn Hall.
- Cathedrals have also featured high on the choir’s touring list - Coventry, Bury St Edmunds, Wells, Brecon, Gloucester, St David's and Llandaff cathedrals have been concert venues, as well as Westminster Abbey.
- The choir has travelled extensively throughout the world – Germany, Canada, USA. France, Ireland, Netherlands, Australia and New Zealand.
- The choristers have thousands of pounds for charities such as Cancer and Leukaemia Research, The Red Cross, Heart Foundation and Tenovus as well as local charities and school groups.
- The choir’s future is secure and their motto of "Ymlaen Llanelli" will surely hold the choristers in good stead for another 40 years!
- The choir rehearses twice weekly on Monday and Thursday evenings at Furnace Community Hall, 7pm start. Visitors and new members are welcome.
About Joy Cornock:
Soprano Joy Cornock is a regular soloist in recitals and concerts around the UK, Spain, Germany and Ireland.
Joy has been a faithful member of the Côr Newyddion Da, performing at the Royal Albert Hall, London, The Cardiff International Arena as well as many parts of Europe.
She has appeared on television on numerous occasions including being a soloist on the S4C programmes Dechrau Canu Dechrau Canmol, Noson Lawen and Wedi 3.
Future Côr Meibion Llanelli events –
Thursday, March 1 – St David’s Day concert in Twickenham for the Mayor of Richmond’s charity, 7pm start.
Saturday, March 3 – Concert to mark St David’s Day at Theatr Elli, Llanelli, 7pm start.
Friday, March 9 – Wedding at the Stradey Park Hotel for Byron Thomas’s daughter. 4pm.
Friday,March 16 – Gala concert at Parc y Scarlets, 7pm start, featuring tenor Wynne Evans and Only Men Aloud (tbc).
Saturday, April 21 – Cor Curiad concert at the Selwyn Samuel Centre, Llanelli, 7pm start, featuring Rhydian (tbc).
Saturday, April 28 – Concert at the Royal Welsh Showground in Llanelwedd, Builth Wells, 7pm start.
Saturday, May 26 – Concert at Rhayader Leisure Centre, 7pm start.
Saturday, June 9 – Pontarddulais Town Band annual concert, 7pm start.
Saturday, June 30 – Wedding for Peter Thomas’s daughter, time tbc.
Saturday, June 30 – Annual concert at the Selwyn Samuel Centre, Llanelli, 7pm start.
Saturday, July 7 – Gala Concert at Theatr Elli, Llanelli (final concert at Theatr Elli).
Saturday, August 1 – 2012 Royal National Eisteddfod of Wales in Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan.