The latest Phil Evans column from the South Wales Evening Post


The latest Phil Evans column from the South Wales Evening Post.
Comedian Phil Evans is from Ammanford. He is known as the man who puts the ‘cwtsh’ into comedy.
www.philevans.co.uk


--------------------

The price of charity:

They say, ‘Charity begins at home’, and it certainly does in my case because every week, I receive several requests to appear in or organise charity shows via my letterbox and in-box.
Most people in the public eye, when asked to give their time to aid worthy causes, are happy to help when we can, but, just like everyone else, we have to make a living.
There’s only so much charity work one person can commit to and occasionally the date of a charity show clashes with a paid gig that we’re booked (and contracted) for months beforehand.
So, whenever I reluctantly turn down a charity event, unless the organisers know me as someone who’s usually pleased to help, I suspect my genuine ,“I’m really sorry, but I’m not available that night”, doesn’t go down too well.
This saddens me and creates an undeserved feeling of guilt as I seldom turn down genuine charities, especially those close to my heart.
I’m well aware how privileged I am to have a public profile that makes me ‘attractive’ to charities and every year I’m involved in raising funds, awareness and taking part in benefit nights.
Hopefully, one day these charities will be a thing of the past, together with cancer, heart disease, strokes, diabetes and other conditions that directly affect our everyday lives and those of people we care about.
But what charities help comedians who’ve fallen on hard times or become too ill to work?
Apart from The Entertainment Artistes Benevolent Fund who run Brinsworth House, the home for retired entertainers in Twickenham . . . that’s about it.
Which is ironic, considering the amount of fundraising that many entertainers are involved with over their lifetime.
I recently attended a charity ‘do’, with a talented entertainer whose biggest concern wasn’t, “Will the audience like me?”, but whether she’d be able to pay her rent.
This established performer was on her third charity event this month and without regular paid work, it’s highly unlikely she’ll ever be in a position to buy a home, let alone have a brief holiday to recharge her batteries
Let me just clarify. If you ever need my help to raise funds for a charity, please contact me and I’ll do my best to assist.
But please try and be understanding if there’s already something in my diary for that date.
It’s probably another charity show!

--------------------

Welsh-ness:

One of my favourite films, the 1964 classic “Zulu”, was recently shown as part of the Film Fridays series in Swansea Grand Theatre’s Arts Wing.
Other Welsh-flavoured films screened included “Only Two Can Play” - much of which was filmed around Swansea and Llanelli - and John Ford’s “How Green Was My Valley”, all of which was filmed in Hollywood.
“Zulu” is often described as ‘arguably the greatest portrayal of Welsh heroism on the silver screen’.
I’d venture to say it was the ‘only portrayal of Welsh heroism on the silver screen’, certainly when it comes to the portrayal of stoic, courageous Welshmen in battle.
It made me think of films that ‘might have been’ if the writers and directors had infused them with a little Welsh-ness.
For example...

THE LLANDUDNO THAT TIME FORGOT.

MERTHYR ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS.

DIRTY BARRY

PORTH BY NORTHWEST.

A FISH CALLED RHONDDA.

THE GRAPES OF ROATH.

THE GOWER-ING INFERNO.

MISKIN IMPOSSIBLE - 1 To 5.

A BRIDGEND TOO FAR.

JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF PENARTH

Perhaps you can think of a few more....?

------------------------

Cyclists:

Is it just my imagination or are there really more cyclists on our roads these days?
Over the past few weeks, I've noticed so many more brightly coloured and lycra clad two wheel enthusiasts whilst on my travels.
From the early hours of the morning to the darkest hours of the night.
Their energy and commitment must be applauded as every form of exercise is without doubt a step in the right direction.
On a personal note I'm not sure if I would enjoy clocking up the miles in all conditions with view to keeping fit and healthy.
But not everyone thinks like me – fortunately.
And before you say anything, I already know that I would look ridiculous is colourful and tight fitting lycra.
I do like seeing these crazy people head down and peddling but can't help but think as to how vulnerable they are on our ever increasing busy roads.
Time to THINK BIKE for our two wheeled population – this is something that we should all be embracing, after all, cyclists have been around a lot longer than us motorists.
Just a thought . . .

-------------------------

You can follow Phil Evans on Twitter @philevanswales and www.philevans.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors