The latest 'Iechyd Da' beer column from the Carmarthen Journal


Iechyd Da beer column, written for the Carmarthen Journal by Simon Buckley, chief executive of the Llandeilo-based Evan-Evans brewery -

As part of this year’s St David’s Day celebrations, I was very proud to host a dinner party at Parliament in Westminster, London.
With the support of Roger Williams, Lib Dem MP for Brecon and Radnor, I was able to arrange a cross-party event to celebrate our patron saint and the Welsh brewing industry.
With MPs from all parties present, the evening was a great opportunity to share with our political lords and masters what we are doing in the Welsh brewing industry.
A surprise visitor was Danny Alexander, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, who could not be influenced to take a drink and then spill the beans on the spring Budget!
Naturally, when I was asked to share my ‘wish list’ for what I wanted from the Budget, I wasn’t backwards in coming forwards with ideas!
As an award-winning brewer with a wonderful family history in the brewing business, it is my earnest hope that this St David’s Day celebration in the hallowed halls of Westminster becomes an annual event and grows in size and importance.
Back on home turf, I went with my dear old mother to the 125th anniversary meet of the Carmarthenshire Foxhounds.
It doesn’t really matter whether you are a supporter of foxhunting with hounds or not.
I don’t seek to twist your arm if you are not, and I don’t seek to influence the bar stool experts about the rights and wrongs.
But I do think it important to share what was a genuinely historic moment.
What makes it all the more poignant for me is that we were celebrating something that is, rightly, still a tradition in rural Wales. My family have all been a part of that great countryside tradition.
Some 125 years ago, Joseph Buckley, who was one of the great Victorian brewers of Wales, started a tradition that has stood the test of time.
Whether you believe in hunting or not, the anniversary meet was a gathering of country people, farmers, horsemen and women, who gathered to celebrate the right that they are given to meet as a group and share a common interest.
I lost count at 85 mounted members and a similar crowd of foot followers.
From ‘Thelwell’ ponies to thoroughbreds, the pride was so evident, with farmers volunteering a leg up to the prettiest of girls!
Long may the tradition continue, and long may the right to pursue country sports keep our rural communities together and give people the sense of purpose to get out and meet their neighbours.
As I sank a glass of Buckley Best (what else could you drink, on what was a supreme spring morning?), I thought to myself what would Joseph and his son Bill Buckley have thought of where we are today as a Welsh brewing industry?
They would have loved the beer and the fact it was brewed by their great-great-grandson would have added to the occasion.
It was a Carmarthenshire moment and I suppose the final word should go to Aled Davies, aged 89, who summed up proceedings ‘What could be better, ’ounds, ’unting and great beer?’
For those of us born to that tradition, he is right. I was certainly proud to be there and long may it continue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors