Ammanford resident wins ‘Back to Work Bundle’ in competition


An Ammanford resident who won work training and advice in a One Carmarthenshire/Un Sir Gar competition has now found a new job in just seven weeks.
Kim Maisey, from Ammanford, won a ‘Back to Work Bundle’ including job training in the Where’s 1 competition launched in early November.
With the support of the team he had four job interviews and has started work with TSM Ltd on contract to Day’s Rentals at Gorseinon.
The Where’s 1 team toured the county with a giant pink 1, with the aim of raising awareness of the services that the project offers, which include back to work support, training and apprenticeship signposting.
Radio Carmarthenshire and Scarlet FM supported Un Sir Gar/One Carmarthenshire in organising the competition by providing clues and updating listeners on where ‘1’ was each day. Locations included Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llanelli, St Clears and Llandovery, where the team battled a mixture of wind, rain and frost.
Participants were invited to discuss various ‘Back to Work’ needs with advisers and then answer a simple question for a chance of winning One Carmarthenshire’s “Back to Work Bundle”, offering one lucky winner a First Cymru bus pass, valid for three months, a free training course generously provided by Carmarthenshire Community Adult Learning, a bike donated by Cycle Solutions, Swansea and a Samsung tablet.
The winner was announced live on Tommo’s Breakfast Show.
Un Sir Gar Manager Emma Rees said: “Un Sir Gar provided Kim with the support needed in finding employment and we are pleased to announce that just seven weeks after winning the competition, Kim found full time employment with TSM Ltd and is contracted to Days Rentals at Gorseinon. The job entails delivering and collecting a wide range of vehicles to and from various locations.”
Kim Maisey said “After being let go from my job in October 2013 I was in the unfortunate position of claiming unemployment benefit once again. It felt as though, like many people of my age, like I had been thrown on the scrap heap, as being too old for re-employment, even though I have had a wide range of working experience to offer.
“I entered a competition run by One Carmarthenshire, not expecting to win, but I was surprised to receive a phone call from Tommo, Radio Carmarthenshire presenter early one morning to say that I had won.
“I met Emma Rees and explained to her that I had been applying for numerous jobs without success, I was beginning to think that nobody would employ me. Emma introduced me to her team who offered support in finding employment.
“The kindness, support and encouragement given, boosted my confidence and subsequently I had four interviews within the first two weeks of 2014. I am currently employed by TSM Ltd and am contracted to Days Rentals at Gorseinon. I hope that anyone reading this will be encouraged to not give up hope of finding employment. With the help and support from One Carmarthenshire, I did it!”
Carmarthenshire County Council executive board member for regeneration and leisure Cllr Meryl Gravell said: “The Where’s 1 competition has been a great way of promoting the services offered by Un Sir Gar/One Carmarthenshire and I’m delighted that the winner Kim Maisey has been able to find work so quickly with the team’s support. I would like to wish him all the best for the future in his new job.”
The project is supported by key partners including Job Centre Plus, Coleg Sir Gar, Careers Wales and Carmarthenshire County Council, who share the ambition to provide a unique, seamless approach to supporting people with learning and employment needs.
One Carmarthenshire / Un Sir Gar can be accessed via www.onecarmarthenshire.co.uk or freephone 0800 9173 408.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion