Mums in West Wales benefit from peer support scheme

New mums in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire are receiving extra help in their babies first few days via a special volunteer scheme.
Hywel Dda Health Board’s Volunteering for Health Project has enrolled volunteers to help support new mums with their babies.
All of the volunteers on the ‘buddy’ scheme are mums themselves and the scheme is particularly designed for new mothers so the volunteers can share their experiences and offer reassuring support. 


Rachel Allan, from Freshwater East, was supported by volunteer Amy when she had her baby Jack six months ago at Withybush Hospital. 
She said: ”I had a great deal of support to help me breastfeed from the arrival of my first baby Jack.
“When in hospital Amy came to offer advice, just when I happened to be feeding.
“She was really encouraging and in order to explain fully about latching on she used a knitted woolly boob! She also told me about the breastfeeding support group.
“My advice to other breastfeeding mums would be don't panic waiting for your milk to come in, it will come. It also may take a couple of weeks to fully get the hang of latching on and it did take about 6 weeks for feeding to stop hurting but it is worth persisting. Seeing Jack grow so well and the extra closeness you get through the contact is lovely.”


Sue Mathias had her baby Alisdair who is now nearly 7 months old at Withybush Hospital.
She said: “It is my first time breastfeeding and it was something that I knew I wanted to do. Without a doubt it is the best possible start in life your baby can get and I didn’t want to deny my son this incredible natural gift of being able to feed him myself.
“I was aware before I gave birth that friends of mine had not received enough support and had given up in the early stages. However, In the early morning after I had given birth, I remember seeing these girls in yellow who were definitely a happy sight for sore eyes!!
“Firstly, they were just unbelievably friendly and explained who they were and how they could help. They took me through how to position the baby on the breast and how he should latch on properly. I can remember they had dolls to demonstrate. They also explained how you can see just above the baby’s ear move when they are drawing the milk properly.
“This I found really useful, as I think one the fears mothers have is that the baby is just suckling and not taking any milk.
“The brilliant thing about the girls is that they were there when you needed them and there was no time constraints.
“As a new mum coping with the early stages of breast feeding, the most important thing is having support you can call on whenever you need it. They also spoke about the breastfeeding support group and gave their contact details should I need support and advice after I had left the hospital.”
Rhian Walters, Infant Feeding Co-ordinator for Hywel Dda Health Board, said: “The Health Board is committed to doubling the number of mums breastfeeding their babies from birth up to 6 months and these peer supporters are helping us achieve that.
“We recognise that while breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world it is not always the easiest thing when you first start but there is lots of support out there for mums and by persevering you are giving your baby the best start in life.”
For more information on breastfeeding go to www.hywelddahb.wales.nhs.uk/10pledges

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors