Bin-man Bryan is a recycling warrior


Bryan O’Leary gets up at the crack of dawn five days a week to help recycle your rubbish – but you won’t hear him complain.
The 43-year-old from Ammanford works for Carmarthenshire County Council as a refuse/recycling driver so early starts are part and parcel of the job.
“I get up at 5am and I’m in the depot by 6,” said Bryan. “And I’m usually in bed by 10. I was a postman for 16 years before I started this job and I’ve been doing this for eight years now so I’m used to it. I do try and have a lie-in on the weekends though.”
Bryan drives one of the council’s split-back lorries which are used to collect food waste and blue and black bags depending on what week it is.
He said: “It is quite a big responsibility; I have to check the lorry every morning and there are health and safety issues that have to be considered. As the driver you have to think about the safety of the whole crew and the general public.”
When he’s not in work Bryan, who has a 15-year-old son, coaches athletics with the Amman Valley Harriers, training youngsters aged between eight and 16. A keen runner himself, he has taken part in the London Marathon twice, raising money for the Ammanford squadron of the Air Training Corps. He also enjoys going out on his motorbike.
“I’ve got a bad knee so I’m not sure I’ll be doing any more marathons,” he added.
Bryan has seen big changes since he first started the job.
“Obviously we are recycling much more of our waste than ever, we’ve had the new vehicles and have started separate food collections. I’ve noticed people are much more into recycling now too, they are interested in what happens to their rubbish and where it goes.”
The council is encouraging residents to recycle as much of their waste as possible as it has to recycle 52 per cent by 2012/13 and there are also strict targets on how much waste can be landfilled.
Despite the early nights and the early mornings, Bryan says he enjoys his job.
“I like being busy and the people I work with are great too, we can have a laugh now and again.”
Executive board member for the environment Cllr Philip Hughes said: “The refuse/recycling crews do an excellent job all year round, sometimes in appalling weather conditions, and we appreciate all their hard work. It is vital we reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill and increase our recycling; not only for the benefit of the environment but also to avoid some hefty financial penalties which will be imposed if the county does not meet its targets.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former Gower MP Gareth Wardell the guest speaker at Llanelli Rotary Club

'Class of 1980' from Burry Port enjoy reunion

Lauryn Davey is making her mark in athletics - but needs sponsors